Friday 1 May 2015

Tipping Etiquette


As an avid traveler, I am often asked what the etiquette for tipping at resorts is. My motto is, a little goes a long way. Most resorts I visit are are all-inclusive, and my experience has been that you don't necessarily need to tip to receive excellent service. However, there are a few small things you can do if you want to "show the love" to the hotel staff. Here is a typical week for me at an all-inclusive in Cuba:

Room
I will leave a note for the cleaners, albeit in my extremely broken Spanish! Usually something along the lines of "Gracias!" (Thank you!) and I will leave 1 peso on top of my note.
We will usually cross paths at some point, and that is a great time to ask for extra water or beer in your room if needed.

Restaurants 
My husband and I usually choose a table outside, and make sure to learn our server's name and strike up a conversation if they're not too busy. We also leave them 1 peso each on the first day.

Bars
This is where I tip the least - bartenders usually do very well in tips and they are also extremely busy most of the time. I will usually tip a few times throughout the week.


Once we have been there a day or two, everyone remembers us and we ask them if there's anything they need and we let them know that we've brought items from Canada. Usually they really appreciate sunscreen, nail polish, running shoes/flip flops (gently used is fine) and hats as they are very expensive in Cuba. I've had various other requests over the years, usually all things that we have with us and are happy to leave behind.

If I add it all up:
Day 1: 6 pesos
Day 2-6: gifts from Dollarama + 8 pesos
Day 7: 6 pesos

Total: 20 pesos + $10 at Dollarama = $35 CDN for the week (including currency exchange)


The thing is, most people feel that they need to tip to receive efficient service. However, I think that being kind and getting to know the staff at the hotel is far more rewarding experience for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment