Thursday 14 February 2019

Cook the World Week 6 - Pakistan

Mountain View

This week was another one that I very much looked forward to researching and cooking.  My first endeavor was to try to understand how and why Pakistani cuisine differed from Indian cuisine as they are both favourites of mine (and seem very similar).  After reading and discussing this concept with friends and colleagues (many of whom are Indian and Pakistani), I concluded that the main difference is the vegetarian and non-vegetarian cultures in each country.  For example, here in Canada, most people commonly think of Butter Chicken or Tandoori Chicken as the most popular Indian dishes - but most of my Indian colleagues are completely vegetarian!  It's also common to see restaurants that have a blend of both since of course Northern Indian cuisine is extremely similar to Pakistani cuisine.  With that in mind, I chose to make traditional Beef Kebabs, Pakoras and Mango Lassis for our dinner.

I have to say that I am incredibly thrilled with how everything turned out.  I followed the recipes almost exactly and after failing at Butter Chicken so many times, this was a very turn of events.  The kebabs were fragrant and delicious and the pakoras may have been the best things I've ever tasted (even compared to restaurants) - the mango lassis perfectly balanced the spice and heat of the meal.  Everything was so good, that I made pakoras again a few days later!  (Scroll down for recipes)





Recipes


Kebabs

Pakoras

Mango Lassi



No comments:

Post a Comment